For our Berlin office, AlgorithmWatch is looking for an Office Manager & Team Assistant!
- Monday to Friday, full- or part-time, 25-40 h per week
- Desired starting date: as soon as possible
- Deadline for applications: 8 January 2023
AlgorithmWatch is a civil society organization based in Berlin. Evaluating the social impact of automated decision-making (ADM) and AI-based systems, we’re dedicated to ensuring that these systems are used to strengthen human rights, democracy, and the rule of law. All too often, they restrict people’s rights as surveillance tools and dehumanize people in need of support. By designing and executing political campaigns, publishing journalistic stories, as well as contributing to scientific research and technical development, we’re working on making a change happen.
Your future role
As the successor of a leaving colleague, you will be a part of the operations team. You will be responsible for the office management as well as the travel and event management. If your working hours exceed 30 hours, you will take more responsibility in administration. You will be answering requests and taking care of arising correspondence. This means in detail:
- You pay attention to details while taking care of our office management and secretarial duties:
- You organize our office by processing incoming and outgoing mail as well as coordinating with service providers and partner institutions with regard to room equipment and technical features (with the help of our colleague in IT support);
- You order the office supplies and working equipment;
- You are the main contact person for external requests (e-mail/telephone), handling them with ease because of your excellent communication and organizational skills. You include the team in answering the requests and support the executive director in scheduling.
- You support our team in fulfilling administrative duties and you keep oversight over all current affairs (depending on working hours and experience, we might entrust you with further tasks in HR/finance):
- the preparation for and follow-up to administrative processes (accounting, contract management, donation certificates, etc.);
- the quality management of our receipt and data storage as well as archives;
- the onboarding of new colleagues.
- You help prepare and account for events and business trips.
- We provide you with practical knowledge enabling you to book locations and catering services as well as to manage the logistics and accounting for annual meetings, trainings, project events, or talks. You receive guests in our Berlin office and look after them.
- You are the main contact person for the team concerning the preparation for and follow-up to events and business trips (including setting up and handling the company account at Deutsche Bahn, the communication with inviting parties, reimbursements, etc.).
What you bring to the role
- You have already some work experiences in office management/team assistance or similar positions.
- A completed commercial training, basic commercial knowledge, or basic administrative knowledge are a plus, but we’re open to employ newcomers who have another professional background.
- You have solid writing and oral communication skills in German and English.
- You’re confident in using MS Office and willing to learn using other tools (e.g., Confluence, HR software, Trello).
- You’re reliable and you do your job with accuracy. You enjoy working autonomously and being proactive.
- You have an open, empathic, and supportive personality and a natural talent for organization and coordination.
- You identify with our values and are motivated to become part of our team and to learn the ropes of working in an NGO.
What we offer
- You work in an organization that aspires to make society fairer, more democratic, more inclusive, and more sustainable.
- As part of a humorous operations team, you enjoy a high level of responsibility and creative possibilities.
- An inspiring collaboration between our two teams in Berlin and Switzerland. Our working language is mostly English, but within the operations team German. Our motto is: We don’t take ourselves more seriously than we have to. We’re convinced that a day without laughter is a day wasted.
- You will receive a thorough onboarding so that you become the person “how knows the ropes.” You help us develop work processes for our growing operations team with helpful tools and competent partners.
- A supporting, motivating work environment and a team culture that allows for celebrating milestones as much as the occasional success. We organize workshops, team retreats and team events, team supervision, if needed, etc.
- Flexible working hours and home office arrangements.
- 30 days of vacation plus 24 and 31 December; overtime is compensated with time off in lieu; the possibility of an occupational pension provision.
- An assistance post with perspective: We support you in your professional development, according to your skills and interests, by letting you participate in training courses we pay for.
- A gross monthly salary of at least 3,000 Euros (full-time equivalent). Please note: We’re working on an update of our salary structure; some adjustments and special benefits might soon be introduced.
- An initial 2-year part-time or full-time contract. We pursue a continued employment and a long-term collaboration.
To create an appreciative and harmonious working atmosphere, we defined values and principles for all of our employees in our mission statement.
Did we get your attention? Please apply now!
AlgorithmWatch is committed to equal treatment and equal opportunity. We strive to have a diverse team and diverse directive boards. We believe that a diversity of perspectives on the team is essential for the task of adequately researching and controlling algorithmic systems which also concerns the back office. We encourage applications from people who experienced discrimination, as well as people with migration or refugee biographies, Black and people of color, or LGBTIQ.
We are constantly working on designing an environment that is inclusive to all people. We understand this as a process in which we have to listen and learn, detect privileges and question them–and act upon it. In case you think that we fall short on this aspiration during the recruiting process we would appreciate your feedback.
You share our goals and would like to be a part of our humorous and dedicated team? You would like to get to know us better? We’re looking forward to reading your application–even if not every aspect in our job posting applies to you!
Please send a short cover letter (that includes your desired starting date) and your CV until 8 January 2023 via e-mail to email@example.com. Please don’t include a photo, your birthdate, or your family status.
We’ll send you a short confirmation of receipt. If your profile matches our requirements, we’ll get back to you within a week. We’ll be continuously interviewing candidates. In a first step, you’ll have a short phone (or Zoom) call with Kristina, Head of Operations, who will elaborate on the job profile and talk about your experiences and expectations. In a second and last step, we’ll invite you to our office. We can assume your travel expenses (if the German employment agency doesn’t and the travel takes place within Germany).