For our Berlin office, AlgorithmWatch is looking for an experienced PR & Outreach Manager.
- Full- or part-time, 30-40 h per week
- Desired starting date: as soon as possible
- Deadline for applications: 12 February 2023, 23:59 CET (we will be inviting applicants for interviews from beginning of February on a rolling basis)
AlgorithmWatch is a civil society organization based in Berlin. Evaluating the social impact of automated decision-making (ADM) and AI-based systems, we’re dedicated to ensuring that these systems are used to strengthen human rights, democracy, and the rule of law. All too often, they restrict people’s rights as surveillance tools and dehumanize people in need of support. We’re working on changing this by designing and executing political campaigns, publishing journalistic stories, as well as contributing to scientific research and technical development.
Your future role
As a new member of our PR and outreach team, you contribute to informing the public about the impact that automatic decisions have on people’s lives. We try to show what we can do to make algorithmic systems a means to pursue the common good. With this perspective in mind, you work closely together with all of the AlgorithmWatch teams in Berlin and Zurich, designing our project communication and new campaigns. We’re looking forward to hearing your ideas!
This means in detail:
- You support us in planning, producing, coordinating, and publishing all of AlgorithmWatch‘s communication output: Social Media and website posts, journalistic articles, and larger publications.
- You develop communication concepts with your PR colleagues, in exchange with our policy and project teams in Berlin and Zurich. You coordinate PR activities with partner organizations and our sponsors.
- You write articles and press releases and contribute to our newsletters.
- You maintain the media contact list as well as the network distribution list and answer requests from media representatives and from our community.
- You are involved in carrying out and developing our digital content and Social Media strategy.
- You support us in planning and organizing public (online and real-life) events.
What you bring to the role
- You have several years of work experiences in public relations.
- Your writing style is always on point and appealing, in German and English.
- You’re confident in using the common picture editing tools and have an eye for graphic design.
- You’re experienced in editing audio-visual content and film material.
- You know PR-related monitoring tools and analytic tools.
- You are a team player who likes working independently.
- You never lose your focus on what’s important, are a fast learner, and are at ease with prioritizing.
- You follow the relevant discourses concerning digital politics and know what topics are currently being discussed.
- You identify with our values and are motivated to contribute to protecting human rights and the common good.
What we offer
- The opportunity to contribute to one of the most contested and relevant fields of our time at the intersection of technology, digital politics, human rights, and social justice.
- You work in an organization that aspires to make society fairer, more democratic, more inclusive, and more sustainable.
- A supporting, motivating work environment and a team culture that allows for celebrating milestones as much as learning from having failed. We organize workshops, team retreats and team events, team supervision, if needed, etc.
- Flexible working hours and home office arrangements, 30 days of vacation, overtime is compensated with time off in lieu, the possibility of an occupational pension provision.
- We support you in your professional development, according to your skills and interests, by letting you participate in individual training courses and team trainings.
- A gross monthly salary of at least 3,500 Euros (if working full-time). Please note: We’re working on an update of our salary structure; some adjustments and special benefits might soon be introduced.
- An initial 2-year part-time or full-time contract. We pursue a continued employment and a long-term collaboration.
To create an appreciative and harmonious working atmosphere, we defined values and principles for all of our employees in our mission statement.
Did we get your attention? Please apply now!
AlgorithmWatch is committed to equal treatment and equal opportunity. We strive to have a diverse team and diverse directive boards. We believe that a diversity of perspectives on the team is essential for the task of adequately researching and controlling algorithmic systems. We encourage applications from people who experience(d) discrimination, as well as people with migration or refugee biographies, Black and people of color, or LGBTIQ.
We are constantly working on designing an environment that is inclusive to all people. We understand this as a process in which we have to listen and learn, detect privileges and question them – and act upon it. In case you think that we fall short on this aspiration during the recruiting process, we would appreciate your feedback.
You share our goals and would like to be a part of our team? You would like to get to know us better? We’re looking forward to your application – even if not every aspect in our job posting applies to you!
Please send a short cover letter (that includes your desired starting date) and your CV until 13 February 2023 via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please don’t include a photo, your birth date, or your family status.
We’ll send you a confirmation that we received it and, if your profile is a good match, we will get back to you within two weeks. If you have any questions, Marc, Team Lead PR, will be happy to answer them (email@example.com). Interviews take place in persona or via video conference. We can cover your travel expenses within a reasonable range (in case the German employment agency doesn’t).