AlgorithmWatch is looking for a Senior Campaign Manager for the Berlin office!
- Start date: as soon as possible
- Application deadline: 7 February 2024, 12:00 AM (we conduct interviews on an ongoing basis)
AlgorithmWatch is a human rights organization based in Berlin and Zurich focusing on the social impact of algorithmic decision-making systems (ADM) and Artificial Intelligence (AI). A team of almost 30 employees works on ensuring that such technologies strengthen human rights, democracy, and sustainability instead of weakening them. To this end, we create political campaigns, do lobby work and (journalistic) research, and contribute to technology development.
We are looking for people who identify with our work and want to help us reach an even bigger audience and increase the public pressure on politics.
Would you like to fight for the common good and work on one of our time’s most exciting topics? Become part of our team!
Your future role
We are looking for a campaigner with several years of professional experience in NGOs who will strategically develop AlgorithmWatch’s campaigning and design as well as implement campaigns for us. As our society is increasingly automated, we take responsibility for protecting fundamental rights. You will work closely with the Outreach, Policy & Advocacy and Fundraising teams and report directly to the management.
In the past, our campaigns contributed to fighting the German credit agency Schufa’s opaque practices, forced the Swiss Federal Railways not to monitor its customers using biometrics, and ensured that Instagram is also legally obliged to hand over data about its algorithms. We recently revealed Microsoft's AI’s shortcomings that jeopardize the integrity of democratic elections. These are successes you can build upon. We are eager to learn about your ideas for new formats and strategies.
You will work in Germany and at EU level, as well as with the Swiss team. We mainly work online, but if it suits, we’re very interested in implementing campaigns on site.
We need your support in:
- further developing our campaigning strategy for putting AlgorithmWatch's vision and mission into effect;
- designing an outreach strategy in collaboration with the PR & Outreach team to target the right audiences and broaden the AlgorithmWatch community;
- improving the use of online petition tools, data donation apps, and other online tools for successful campaigns.
As a Senior Campaign Manager at AlgorithmWatch,
- you develop AW’s and AWCH’s campaigns’ structure and strategy;
- you are responsible for campaigns and work together with AlgorithmWatch’s different teams;
- you develop messages and claims, write texts for mailings, materials, and websites targeting various audiences;
- you represent AlgorithmWatch in exchange with partner organizations, the media, and politicians;
- you identify which organizations we should work with and forge alliances;
- you keep track of campaign results with tools such as Matomo and Sprout and analyze them.
What we expect from you:
- several years of experience in campaigning and/or in the fields of advocacy and communication;
- initiative, drive, and creativity when it comes to implementing campaigns;
- experience in project management, you can deal with complex structures and set priorities;
- you enjoy development work and know how to use creative freedom;
- a concise, motivating, and target group-oriented writing style in German and English;
- familiarity with the topics “human rights in the digital age” and ideally Artificial Intelligence;
- critical political judgment and the ability to think one step ahead;
- team spirit and first experience in leadership.
- experience with campaign-relevant software such as petition tools or CRM;
- experience of working with external service providers (e.g. design, software development, petition platforms, etc.);
- willingness to travel in Germany or to near European countries (e.g. to Brussels) for campaigns.
- the opportunity to work on one of the most exciting and hot topics which are AI, algorithmic systems, and digital human rights; you’ll have the chance to exchange information with experts and help shape society with them;
- a salary of 4,400 euros employee gross/month (if working in full-time);
- a contract initially limited to 3 years for a part-time or full-time position with 30-40 hours per week (we strive for continued employment);
- flexible working hours and the possibility of mobile working, 30 days’ vacation, overtime is compensated with time off in lieu, the possibility of a company pension scheme, mobility allowance;
- a campaign budget at your disposal (which you manage in consultation with the general management);
- being a part of a network of civil society partner organizations, scientists, and decision-makers;
- individual training and team training.
In order to create an appreciative and harmonious working environment, we have defined values and principles in our mission statement. These values will shape your everyday working life.
Are you curious? Then apply!
Equal opportunities are important to us. We aim for having a diverse team and thereby particularly encourage people to apply who have a history of migration or displacement, Black people and people of color, people who consider themselves LGBTIQ*, or people who have experienced discrimination. If you have ideas for making our recruitment process more inclusive, please let us know.
Do you identify with our goals and would you like to become part of our team? Would you like to get to know us better? Even if not all aspects of the job advertisement apply to you - apply anyway!
Please send us the following documents by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (without photo and indicating your age and marital status) by 7 February 2024, 12:00 AM at the latest:
- a short letter of motivation, including your possible start date and your CV;
- a meaningful work sample (such as a campaign concept, a campaign website, a mailing, a press release, or similar) with a brief explanation of how you contributed to it.
We will get back to you with a short confirmation. You will then hear from us within two weeks if your profile is a good fit and we would like to get to know you. We invite candidates to interviews on an ongoing basis. If you have any questions, our Managing Director Matthias will be happy to answer them (email@example.com). The interviews will take place on site or via video call. We will cover travel costs for the interviews, unless they are covered by the employment agency (within Germany and within reasonable limits).